Grits with Mushroom, Sausage & Pepper Ragout
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb country style sausage
1 cup mixed color bell peppers (small diced)
1 jalapeno minced
1/2 cup green onion (sliced)
3 cups button mushrooms (quartered)
5 garlic cloves (sliced)
2 cups tomatoes (diced)
2 cups water
- In the largest saute pan you have, start by browning your sausage in vegetable oil over pretty high heat. Once it is nicely browned, remove it from the pan and reserve.
- Leave the tasty fat in the saute pan and with the heat around medium-high, add the mushrooms in a single layer. Let them sit there. Do not stir them around. Do not shake the pan like you are dying to do. Let them sit for about 2 minutes.
- Shake the pan and see the nice caramelization you have accomplished. Do this again with the newly exposed side.
- Once you have achieved nice caramelization, season the mushrooms with salt, shaking the pan once more. Remove the mushrooms and reserve.
- Add the bell peppers, jalapeno, green onion and garlic cloves. Hit them with a little salt and allow them to sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sausage, mushrooms and water to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Let this go for about thirty minutes. It should all cook down to a nice comforting looking ragout.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- To serve with the grits: Spoon a generous helping of the ragout on top of warm, seasoned grits. Top the whole thing with grated parmesan cheese and pop in the oven for about 4-5 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the whole thing is bubbling.