Renowned pastry chef, Phoebe Lawless (Scratch Bakery) is know for slingin’ pies in Durham, NC. So of course A Chef’s Life had to stop by for a sweet treat while we were in town. Chef Vivian and Ben both agree that her Sticky Honey Peanut Cake is one of the best desserts they’ve had in a looooong time! Phoebe was kind enough to share her recipe with us, so break out those cake pans. This is definitely a dessert you want at your table...and then in your belly!
Makes 1 9” cake
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ cups fine biscuit/cake crumbs
1 ½ cups finely ground roasted peanuts
½ cup white sugar
½ cup honey
¼ cup canola oil
3T cider vinegar
¾ cup honey
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup apple cider
¼ t salt
¼ t ground black pepper
– preheat oven to 375-generously butter a 9” cake pan and reserve
– in a small bowl combine salt, cinnamon, biscuit/cake crumbs and peanuts and reserve
– in a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients for cake and whisk until very smooth and eggs are aerated
– pour into prepared pan and bake until cake just pulls away from sides and tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes
– meanwhile, combine syrup ingredients in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and cook on medium heat until thick, about 12 minutes. Reserve.
– allow cake to cool 10 minutes. Using a skewer or small straw, poke holes in cake.
– lightly brush with warm syrup, using it all. Allow to cool another 10-15 minutes before inverting to remove from pan.
– serve warm or room temp, excellent with whipped cream, ice cream, or a light custard sauce. Garnish with rough chopped roasted peanuts.