Frank Lee’s Clam Hash
Serves 4 people
12-16 medium to large clams (shells scrubbed, shucked raw, cleaned of muddy sack, chopped)
- Soak clams in icy water. Scrub the shells and clean the clams of any muddy parts.
- Over a large bowl, shuck the clams (NOTE: I use a sharp knife and hand protection for this step).
- Separate the clams from the liquid. Be sure to remove any little pieces of shell from the shucking. Strain and reserve remaining juice to remove shell and grit. Save liquid. Chop the clams.
- Cook the bacon crisp in a large skillet (I like a 9-10” Cast iron) – remove, reserve bacon. Pour off most of the fat and add the onion, cook until tender.
- Add the chopped clams and the juice. Bring to a quick simmer.
- Crumble the saltines in the hash to thicken – remove from heat.
- Just before serving, add the chopped parsley and crumble the bacon on top. Daisy would serve the hash over stone ground whole grits with soft scrambled eggs and sliced tomato.